You are here: Home | Charles Lindbergh Timeline

Charles Lindbergh Timeline

Below you will find a timeline of Charles Lindbergh life. Please feel free to submit events from Charles Lindbergh life for the timeline. Please be sure to include a complete description of the event and the exact date. View the Log of the Spirit of St. Louis for detailed dates and locations regarding the Spirit of St. Louis timeline.

1800's   | 1900   | 1910   | 1920   | 1930   | 1940   | 1950   | 1960   | 1970   | 1980 | 1990 | 2000

Charles Lindbergh Event
1859 Father, Charles A. Lindbergh, Sr. is born in Sweden family emigrates to the United States.
1883 Father graduates from University of Michigan Law School; settles in Little Falls, Minnesota
1887 Father marries Mary LaFond
1898 Mary Lindbergh dies
1901 Father marries Evangeline Land. Evangeline was schooled at the prestigious Liggett Academy, she graduated from the University of Michigan in 1899. Fellow classmates remembered her as the "prettiest girl on campus." Evangeline, who had her mind on a career in science, later received a Master of Science degree from Columbia University. The Lands were a family of science. Her father, dentist Dr. Charles H. Land, invented the porcelain crown and later expanded his inventiveness beyond dentistry to the development of gas and oil burners for furnaces.
1902-February 4 Charles Lindbergh's Birth in Detroit, Michigan on the site where the David Whitney Building now stands. When it came time to give birth to her son Evangeline returned to Detroit, Michigan to be under the care of her grandfather, Dr. Edwin Lodge, a respected physician. Charles was born in his uncle Edwin's three story brownstone at 1220 West Forest.
1906 Father is elected to U.S. Congress
1912 Attends his first air meet
1916 Half sister Lillian Lindbergh Roberts dies from tuberculosis
1916 Drives to California with his Mother
1917 Father leaves office to oppose U.S. entry into World War I
1918 Is excused from senior year of high school to operate family farm for war effort
1918 Graduates from Little Falls High School, Minnesota
1920 Enrolls in University of Wisconsin as engineering student
1922-February Leaves college in February to become flying student at Nebraska Standard Aircraft Corporation
1922-April 1 First flight as passenger
1923- March Father cosigned for a $900 bank loan for Charles to buy a surplus army airplane. In March 1923 he spent $500 for a war-surplus Curtiss "Jenny" with a 90-horsepower engine, a creaky, tattered plane that could fly only 70 miles an hour at top speed, and could only slowly climb to seventeen hundred feet.
1922-April 9 First solo flight. No flying license was required in those days, so making sure he had a full fuel tank, he lifted the rickety Jenny off the ground for his first solo. His lengthy passenger experience, all the while paying sharp attention to everything that happened to create flight, and his innate skills got him into the air and safely back to the ground on several takeoffs and landings. However, he once almost crashed the Jenny by lifting off too soon and then bounced so hard the landing gear was almost wrecked. He rarely made the same mistake twice and at day's end he had mastered his plane's many quirks and learned flight under his control. Now he could fly anywhere he chose.
1924 Enlists as U.S. Army flying cadet
1924-May Father dies
1925- March 5 First emergency jump! It was from an open cockpit, single-seat SE-5 scout biplane, on March 5, 1925 as a student pilot at Kelly Field, near San Antonio, Texas. Lindbergh and another cadet on a training mission had a midair collision at about 5,000 feet as they attacked a DH4B "enemy" bomber. In their dive on the bomber several hundred feet below, Lindbergh, after seeing no other plane near, pulled up and jumped. His excerpted official report noted: "I passed above the DH and a moment later felt a slight jolt, followed by a crash." Lindbergh wrote about parachutes and military flying: "There is a saying in the service about the parachute: 'If you need it and haven't got it, you'll never need it again!' That just about sums up its value to aviation."
1925 Graduates first in class from U.S. Air Service Flying School, Kelly Field, San Antonio; is commissioned second lieutenant in Air Service Reserve Corps; becomes Chief Pilot, Robertson Aircraft Co., St. Louis
1925- June 2 Charles Lindbergh made his second emergency jump. Performing spins, the aircraft failed to respond to the pilot's insistent, forceful attempts to recover. Instead, it plummeted to earth, twisting and turning. Some observers said the flier and the careering plane separated at 250 feet. Lindbergh was more conservative in his estimate. He thought it was higher; in his of ficial report stated the height at 350 feet.Charles dislocated his shoulder in the landing. After medical treatment, Lindbergh was again flying within two hours.
1925- November Lindbergh enlisted in the 110th Observation Squadron, 35th Division, Missouri National Guard, and was promoted to first lieutenant .
1926- Winter Spent the winter months instructing students, teaching how to fly the OX-5 and test flying in the Robertson company's commercial service.
1926-April Makes first Chicago-to-St. Louis airmail flight. William and Frank Robertson get the airmail route between St. Louis and Chicago and “Slim” Lindbergh is off and flying — and crashing, on occasion. Army pilots called the airmail planes “flying coffins.”
1926-September 16 Chief Pilot Lindbergh was on a mail flight on September 16, 1926 when he made an emergency jump at night in a blinding snow and rain storm because his plane ran out of fuel after he became lost in darkness and violent weather, after more than two hours of rigorous flying. The plane crashed about two miles from where Lindbergh landed, but the mail was undamaged, recovered, and delivered. When the wreckage was inspected a few days later, it was discovered that a 110-gallon fuel tank removed for repair had been replaced with an 85-gallon tank without anyone (particularly the pilot) being notified of the change.
1926-November 3 Makes fourth emergency parachute jump! Lindbergh landed on a barbed wire fence but his heavy flying suit prevented injury. However, for several anxious moments he struggled with the parachute canopy being kept inflated by gusts of wind. Mail, much of it oil-soaked, was recovered from the wrecked airplane and delivered.
Feb. 25, 1927 Lindbergh signs the order with Ryan Aeronautical Co., San Diego, for the purchase of a monoplane, the Spirit of St. Louis. It cost $10,580.
1927-April 28 First test flight of the Spirit of St. Louis
May 10-11, 1927 On May 10-11, 1927, Lindbergh tested the Spirit of St. Louis by flying from San Diego to New York City, with an overnight stop in St. Louis. The flight took 20 hours 21 minutes, a transcontinental record.
1927-May 20, (6:52 AM EST) Departs Roosevelt Field, Long Island, New York for Paris
1927-May 21, (5:22 PM EST) Arrives Le Bourget Aerodrome, Paris after 33 hours, 29 minutes, and 30 seconds. Lindbergh lands at Paris' Le Bourget airfield, becoming the first pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean.
June 11, 1927 Lindbergh and the Spirit of St Louis returned to the United States aboard the U.S.S. Memphis on June 11, 1927.
June 16, 1927 Raymond Orteig awards the $25,000 Orteig prize.
June 18, 1927 Triumphant Lindbergh returns to St. Louis and is greeted with a huge parade in his honor.
1927 Tours the U.S. with Spirit of St. Louis making 82 stops in 48 states; makes first nonstop flight from Washington to Mexico City; is awarded Medal of Honor by act of Congress.
1928 Completes air tour of Latin America; begins service as consultant to Transcontinental Air Transport and to Pan American Airways.
1928-January 24 From an unknown newspaper dated 24 January 1928.

LINDBERGH TAKES DIVE IN SUBMARINE OFF COCO SOLO: Col. Charles A. Lindbergh yesterday afternoon took a nose dive. It was not, however, in an airplane but in the O-9, one of the big submarines based at Coco Solo. The Lone Eagle was taken on a cruise around the harbor under a very choppy sea and it was said he showed a great deal of interest in the operation of the big undersea ship. The flying colonel was the guest of Captain Ward Wortmann, commandant of the submarine base. Others in the party were Lieutenant Commander W.A. Heard and Lieutenant Robert W. Douglass, Junior, his aide. This ship was commanded by Lieutenant J.T. Acree. The vessel left the Coco Solo landing at 1:45 and cruised around for about an hour.

1928-April 30 Last flight in the Spirit of St. Louis from Lambert Field, St. Louis to Bolling Field, Washington, D.C. (Spirit of St. Louis total flying time 789 hours, 28 minutes.)
1929-May 27 Lindbergh marries Anne Morrow, the shy daughter of Dwight Morrow, U.S. ambassador to Mexico.
1929 Lindbergh helps found Transcontinental & Western Air (T&WA), later Trans World Airlines. Lindbergh works with Robert Hutchings Goddard on the development of rockets.
1930-June 22 Birth of 1st Baby, Charles Lindbergh Jr.
1930-34 Develops perfusion pump with Dr. Alexis Carrel
1931 Makes flight across North Pacific to China with Anne. (Lockheed Sirius)
1932-March 1 Lindbergh baby kidnapped from Hopewell, New Jersey home. The Lindberghs' firstborn, Charles A. Lindbergh Jr., is kidnapped and murdered. The trial, nicknamed “The trial of the century,” is a media circus. Bruno Richard Hauptmann is convicted and executed.
1932 Jon Lindbergh is born
1935-December The Lindberghs became exiles in England
1936-April 3-8:44 PM Bruno Richard Hauptmann executed in Trenton, NJ state prison
1936 Makes first of five trips to Germany to investigate and evaluate air power.
1937 Land Lindbergh is born
1937 Flies to India with Anne
1938 Moves to Illiec Island, off the coast of France
1938- April 27 Meeting with Colonel Scanlon (Assistant Military Attache for Air in the U.S. Embassy in London) and Colonel Lee (Military Attache for Air in the U.S. Embassy in London) about Englands miltary weakness compared to Germany's strength and modern war tactics and instruments.
1938- April 29 Anne and Charles lunch with his Highness the Maharaja of Baroda and the Maharanee.
1938- May 5 Anne and Charles lunch with Lord and Lady Astor, Mr. Mrs. George Bernard Shaw, Ambassador Joseph Kennedy (Great Britain), Ambassador William C. Bullitt (France). Charles states, "Kennedy interested me greatly. He is not the usual type of politician or diplomat." The conversation at the table is about aviation and military issues.
1938- May 23 Anne and Charles have dinner at Lord and Lady Astor home with King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, Duke and Duchess of Kent, and others. Charles speaks to the Queen about the aviation and the troubles of the world.
1938 Lindbergh accepts the German Eagle from Hermann Goering, the Nazis' second in command. Lindbergh's reputation is sullied; questions are raised about his loyalty.
1939-April Returns to United States
1939-41 Speaks against U.S. intervention in war in Europe. The isolationist America First Party is formed; Lindbergh is a frequent speaker.
1940 Anne Lindbergh is born
1941 Joins the America First Committee, an organization that opposed voluntary American entry into World War II.
1941 Resigns Air Corps commission, then is denied reinstatement after U.S. enters World War II
1942-April 3 Departs for Detroit, Michigan to work for FORD builing B-24 Liberator Bombers. The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor sank both ships and isolationist aspirations. It placed Lindbergh in a quandary but in a patriotic spirit he offered to aid the U.S. by returning to the Air Corps. The Administration refused his services and then, in a mean spirited mood, forced Lindbergh's many aviation employers to cancel his advisory positions, including Juan Trippes' Pan American Airways. Only one man resisted that move, Henry Ford, and Lindbergh went to work for him on 3 April 1942 as a technical consultant helping Ford convert from auto to bomber production. Henry Ford, who himself had been labeled anti-Semitic and pro-German, contacted Lindbergh and invited him to work at his Willow Run B-24 bomber factory. The B-24 was being refitted for mass production. Lindbergh worked on the redesign of the nose and the gun mount. While working at the plant he was impressed by the high quality of work produced by the women workers and their high moral character, compared to some of the male employees. At its peak in 1943, the plant had 42,331 workers and by 1944, 650 B-24 bombers were rolling off the line every month. Of his tenure at Willow Run, Lindbergh later wrote, "I would have viewed the Willow Run bomber production line as a marvelous feat of engineering. I would have felt proud of even the small part I had in bringing it into being. Now, it seemed a terrible giant's womb, growling, clanging, giving birth to robots which were killing people by the thousands each day as they destroyed the culture of Europe....This was a temple of the god of science at which we moderns worshiped....Here I watched a steel door lift and an airplane roll outside; while, in reality, the walls of a cathedral fell and children died."
1942 Tests effects of altitude at Mayo Clinic- Rochester, Minnesota
1942-August 12 Scott Lindbergh is born
1944-January Plans to leave for South Pacific as a civilian tech rep. He would go to the Pacific, as a civilian technical assistant. Neither the White House nor even Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox knew of this trip.
1944-April 22 Leaves for South Pacific to fly 50 combat missions as a civilian tech rep
1945 Reeve Lindbergh is born
1945 Is member of naval techical mission to study Germany's missle and aircraft developments
1946 Is consultant for University of Chicago Ordnance Research Project
1947-54 Serves as special advisor to Air Forces
1949 Is awarded Wright Brothers Memorial Trophy
1954 Wins Pulitzer Prize winner for The Spirit of St. Louis
1954 Recieves the Guggenheim Medal
1954 President Dwight D. Eisenhower restored Lindbergh's commission and appointed him a brigadier general in the Air Force
1954 Evangeline Land Lindbergh died. Services were held at the Orchard Lake Community Church,where Evangeline's grandfather often preached.
April 11, 1957 The movie “Spirit of St. Louis,” starring Jimmy Stewart, premieres in Hollywood.
1954-74 Goes on conservation and wildlife preservation expeditions.
July 1964 Lindbergh becomes a leader of conservationist causes. He would later say, “If I had to choose between planes and birds, I'd choose birds.”
1965 Redesigns perfusion pump for Naval Medical Research Institute
1966-1972 Serves on World Wildlife Board of Trustees
1968 Addresses Alaska Legislature, first public speech in twenty-seven years.
1969-1972 Is member of Citizens Advisory Committee on Environmental Quality
1974-August 26 Lindbergh dies of cancer at his island retreat in Maui, Hawaii. Lindbergh died of lymphatic cancer at the age of 72. He spent his last years in quiet seclusion in a small cottage on the tranquil island of Maui. Following his request, he was buried in his work clothing: his favorite plaid shirt, khaki pants, and a Hudson's Bay blanket he had once brought from Canada for his mother. Private services were held in the Palapala Ho'omau church. The Honolulu Star-Bulletin headlined his departure "EAGLE'S FINAL FLIGHT IN PRIVACY".
1985 Half sister Eva Lindbergh Christie Spaeth passes away.
1993 Anne Spencer Lindbergh , eldest daughter of Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh, died of cancer in 1993 at the age of 53. Anne Spencer Lindbergh was an acclaimed author of juvenile fantasies which place ordinary children in extraordinary situations. Nick of Time, The People in Pineapple Place, Three Lives to Live and The Worry Week are a few of her more well-known books.
February 7, 2001 Anne Morrow Lindbergh dies at 94 in her rural Vermont home.

Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | This site is not affiliated with the Lindbergh family,
Lindbergh Foundation, or any other organization or group.
This site owned and operated by the Spirit of St. Louis 2 Project.
® Copyright 2014®, All rights reserved.
Help support this site, order your materials through this link.

Shop at